Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Daniel Fast Day 14 Devotional 10/6/13

Our God is Able

 "And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work." 2 Corinthians 9:8

I was challenged a few years ago to start memorizing Scripture. For some of you, that may seem odd because you've been memorizing verses since you can remember. But I wasn't raised in the church and it wasn't until I was in my early 20's that I give my life to Christ.

Even then, Scripture memorization was never stressed in the churches I attended. I remember hearing Bible teachers warn people about the need for memorization because one day the Communists could overtake us and we wouldn't have Bibles and the only way we could have access to God would be through the verses we had in our memory.
 
The argument didn't work for me . . . so the only Scriptures I knew were those that were either very short (Jesus wept.) or those that were very familiar (For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.).

The Lord showed me that He wanted me to memorize verses so that I could recite them often and get them from my brain and mouth into my spirit. He wants me to know His Word as head knowledge so that it can become heart knowledge.

The first verse He led me to was 2 Corinthians 9:8. He wants me to totally believe that truth. To have confidence in Him and what He says. Not just the words, but the truth in the Word. If I recite the verse and sense my "believer" stumble, I just keep letting the words roll off my tongue and into my open heart. Over and over, truth comes from my lips so it can soak into my spirit.

Sometimes I have little talks between my spirit and my soul. They go something like this, "This Word is true, Susan. God is able to make all grace abound toward you. All grace is coming to you right now. You believe this Word. God's Word is true. Embrace this truth into your spirit. Accept the grace that comes to you today." Then I recite the verse again.

This is how I meditate on the Word of God. I started this discipline a few years ago and I can tell that my faith is growing. "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God." Romans 10:17. The Holy Spirit can work with me when I work with God's Word.

What is your need today? Find two or three Scriptures that give God's answer for your need, and then try memorizing the verses. Speak them to your heart so that you apprehend the truth. God is good and He knows what we need . . . and how to nurture our faith. Give it a try for a week . . . and then see how the power of the Lord's Holy Word will not come back void.
 
Be blessed,.

 (From Daniel-Fast.com by Susan Gregory- Author, Speaker, Christian Life Coach)

No comments:

Post a Comment